Monday, August 11, 2008

Saying Goodbye

Well, I'm sad to say that our time here is coming to an end. We recently said goodbye to our 31 children at the foundation. I made little cards for each of them with a little note that I put on their beds before we left. I wanted them to feel like they were important as an individual. It took me quite a while to finish, and some of them will toss it into the trash right away I'm sure, but I hope it will mean something to someone.


It was hard to leave- we were sad to go and hope that they know that we love them and are not leaving out of rejection to them but because we have to. We are hoping to keep in touch and told them that we would call when we got back to our home in the States.

This last week we were busy at the foundation building a garden. As you can tell from this picture, I had to really hold them back at first from not all working at the same time (just kidding). They were actually not as excited about it at first as I was, but they still enjoyed it and when it was finished, I think they were proud of what it had become.


We plated carrots, lettuce, cilantro and beets. I am hoping that the vegi's will grow that that they'll be able to make salads with it. Here's kind of a cute picture that Joseph took. It looks like he's thinking to himself, "Please God, make this garden grow- it will take a miracle." That was pretty much my thought as we were doing it. I really didn't know what I was doing. But thank goodness we had one of the workers there help us out.



And here it is after we planted the seeds...


Anyway, Joseph and I are going to go to the LDS temple in Bogota tomorrow. We're looking forward to that. And then on Wednesday morning, we head back to the good old USA. We're getting pretty "trunky" as missionaries call it. We have already decided where we want to eat when we get there- Thai food. I think we've probably had enough beans and rice here in Colombia to last us the year. :) We are glad that we've been able to have the experiences we've had this summer. It has been amazing really.

6 comments:

veronica flores said...

Hi Bianquita and Joseph:
I am very touched by your love for those children there. I was a little worried at first that Brad and Mandy where not there any longer and that you would be too homesick but I guess I didn't realized how much you have enjoyed your stay in Colombia. It is one of those experiences that will last a lifetime, I'm sure. I do miss you my sweeties and can't hardly wait to see you back home.
love,
mama vero

Dave and Ashley Gay said...

If you want some company while eating Thai food Ashley and I are always up for it.

holly jo said...

Hello...That garden is way too professional...it takes me back to the tomatoes in front of our hours, planted in the lava rocks...mmm...gardens...lovely.

Cristi said...

I love the garden idea! It looks awesome! I need you guys to come out and help us out with our garden! Looks like you had an awesome experience!!! However, I must say it is good to hear your voice again...I am so glad youguys are home!!!!

Adri said...

So when are you coming back to this fabulous country? Tomorrow? Call me... (wink wink)

Megan said...

Your trip looked amazing. So excited to hang out again. Our blog is tymegwill.blogspot.com check it out.